Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Oh... yea.... we went to South Carolina!

Did you hear them? Did you hear the giggles of anticipation? The conversations brewing of newborn photo shoots? The impatient squeals of pure excitement at the thought of seeing my newborn nephew? The fact that BRINLEY AND I GOT TO GO TO SOUTH CAROLINA? Yea- you heard right! Brinley and I got to go to South Carolina to see my brand-spankin' new nephew (you know, the one I can't stop talking about and showing pictures of ). Uh huh! Let's just say I am still on a little buzz from the trip.
I know what you are thinking- "How in the WORLD could you afford that?". The answer is simple. We couldn't. So I applied for a credit card and bought the ticket (it's only a 156%APR... pretty decent) and we will just have to fit the payment into our tight budget. NOT!
Here's how it went down- I really really really really really really really really really really really wanted to go see Evan (and his lovely parents) but we could NOT afford the ticket- South Carolina this time of year is quite expensive! So I sulked a little and just checked facebook every ten minutes for a new photo of him. I decided I had to be ok with just seeing my 5 cellphone pictures a day of him and that when they decided to visit Denver I would just have to meet them there. But everyday I kept thinking "I am missing out on such an important time! He's growing too fast! Oh well... we can only do what our budget allows and, unfortunately, that does not allow for a trip to SC." Then, in the middle of supper with our new worship pastor and his family, I got the call. This is how it went-

 -------------------------
My sister Shannon "Hey- are you busy?"
Me   "Uhh, yea. We have company right now. Can I call you in a couple hours?"
S  "Not really. We need to talk now."
Me  "What's going on? Is Evan ok?"
S   "Yea- he's fine. Dad wants to buy you a ticket to come see us. Can you get next week off work?"
Me  "Well yea, I can but I can't take a ticket from them! They are EXPENSIVE!"
S  "Well he wants to buy you one, so if you can get off work we will have him book it."
Me  "Let me chat with Roger about it and see what he thinks."
"We need to know in five minutes- the price expires then. Can you get back to us in five?"
Me "Oh my gosh- let me see what I can do. This is a TERRIBLE time!"
 -----------------------

So I headed back to the table and to the conversation between Kyle and Roger. I didn't want to interrupt and ask Roger so what's a girl to do? Text. That's right- I text my husband (sitting right next to me) to ask if it was ok with him. From that moment forward everything was a blur until I finally made the call (with one minute to spare) that we could go. AHHHHH!! We could GO!!!!! Hooray!!
So then the planning began. My Dad and I had many conversations about checking baggage, how many bags we were allowed, what I should and should not take, etc. After what seemed like WEEKS, we finally got on the road and took the drive to Denver.
Ok- enough writing... on with the show...

She got to ride on the "train" at DIA
Goofballs at the airport


Waiting to get on her VERY FIRST flight
It's hard to get a good photo on a
TINY, CRAMPED airplane
On one flight, she slept through the BUSY and noisy airport




So precious

They actually have rocking chairs in the Columbia airport!
... she's OUT
I love this girl!










Later on in the evening Grandma suggested that Brinley hold Evan. Evan's dad, Ryan, about DIED. His face went pale and he looked over at Shannon and said "They are really going to let her HOLD HIM? She can't hold him!" and gave her the "DO SOMETHING" face. Shannon replied "She will be sitting on the couch and they will be right there. It's ok." He calmed down. He thought we meant have her hold him while standing like the rest of us. Oh Ryan....This is only the beginning of the SC posts, but I needed to get SOMETHING up. We had such a blast and couldn't have even DREAMED of this trip without Grandpa. Good thing we are SPOILED ROTTEN by Grandpa. We can't ever re-pay you for the experience, Grandpa. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

-The Bakers

1 comment:

  1. There better be some more of that baby belly of yours!

    ReplyDelete