Tuesday, September 14, 2010

My Recent Project

Ever since we have moved into our house I have always been very nervous about decorating. The problem is that I don't have a particular style. I am pretty eclectic in my taste. I don't think being as CHEAP as I am helps at all, either. So I have been trying different cheap ideas on how to decorate my living room wall for quite some time. I have tried antique frames, a large mirror, etc. None have been very good attempts because I have become preoccupied with other tasks and have forgotten about the wall. For some reason the laundry has to be done before I can sit and stare at the wall wondering what to do with it! I have been looking all over Kearney for some sort of inspiration. I was walking through the thrift store the other day and found the inspiration I have been looking for! Here it is....




I know... right?? TOTALLY INSPIRING!!

Ok, ok. So it's hideous! But I thought it had some potential. So I started to get to work..

I took the candlesticks off of the sconce

Not sure what I'll make with these, but they could be cute!

I took the clock face off of the clock

And I gave them all a bath


Then I spray painted them all black (I took pictures of this but they got deleted somehow). After they were all spray painted, I added a monogram to the center of the old clock and then spray painted some old frames black to match. Then I started hanging. I have just begun with the picture frames- I plan on adding MANY more to the wall but I like the way it is starting to look:
What do you think? Please leave your comments and let me know your opinion!
- Janel

PS- Feel free to be honest. If you hate it you will just be joining Roger. :-D

6 comments:

  1. I LOVE it! I am not sure I could have seen past the ugly gold clock and candle holders (and I am pretty good about being creative), but you did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE LOVE LOVE the "B"!!!!! Cute pictures too... but the "B" is AWESOME!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i LOVE the B frame!!! that really looks amazing. i would think of maybe regrouping to do an asymetrical design. grouping the frames together to one side and below the B with the candlestick frames kind of balancing it. it will help it feel a little more balanced while you wait for the rest of the frames... GREAT JOB!!! :)lets together and spraypaint!!! i have a mirror in my closet waiting for it right now... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. okay, so, admittedly I didn't think the gold stuff was all that hideous (at least in the pictures), but I LOVE that black monogram!!! Such a great idea!!! I agree with Lauren that I would probably do something more asymmetrical but equally spaced with the frames for better balance since they are not all identical on both sides... but really I am in love with this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're VERY creative, I certainly would not have imagined what you did with the atrocious looking items you started with. I agree that I would change the location of the pictures with regard to the other items. I love what you did !!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super cute!! I love it Janel! I wish I could see past the ugly!! (but I wouldn't be in a thrift store anyways....) I am very symmetrical! So I would just move the bottom candle stick to the other side of the pictures! But super cute Jo!!

    Love,
    Your Favorite Sister! :)

    ReplyDelete