Tuesday, September 14, 2010

'Twas the Night Before Thursday...


'Twas the night before Thursday and all through the house,
not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse.
The laundry was folded and in the basket it lay,
in hopes that Daddy would soon put it away.
Daddy was meeting with a group of ol' boys,
while I was at home picking up toys.

Brinley was nestled all snug in my lap,
and was just settling down for a long night's nap.
When I lay her to nurse there arose such a clatter,
I didn't know what could be the matter.
When what my wondering eyes did meet,
but a baby who apparently didn't want to eat.

She was screaming and wriggling, not wanting to nurse,
and I think if she could, she would have cursed!
So Brinley I gently in my arms did rock, 
and lay her to sleep while I was still in shock.
I though to myself "What could be going on?"
"Why is my baby suddenly withdrawn?"

"She's tired! She's restless! This is quite creepy!"
"She's grumpy! She's angry! She must just be sleepy!"
But the very next day she continued refusing,
and I really believed my heart she was bruising.
So now, six days later, I've come to the conclusion:
My plans (all plans!) are just an illusion.

No comments:

Post a Comment